Thursday, June 2, 2011

Baby Toe Tag

"Baby Toe Tag", Rockaway Park, NYC, 05/11, Juliana Beasley.



I went out to the Rockaways a couple of Sundays ago with no particular agenda, just a camera, flash and film in a knapsack. I ended up sitting on a stool in a local pub that I often frequent when the owner, Carmel told me that Margie's (one of the bartenders who works there) granddaughter was being baptized that afternoon. I jumped on a local bus and scurried down several streets and into a church full of babies and their respective families sitting in pews. I had just missed the baptism. Just like I had missed my nephew's one hot summer day over a decade ago.




"Baby Ava in Her Baptism Gown", Rockaway Park, NYC, 05/11. Juliana Beasley




Little Ava had just been blessed. Margie invited me to a party after the baptism. I got in a big SUV with the family and was shuttled to an anonymous reception hall.

Slowly, the room began to fill. Ava was taking a break, sleeping in her stroller before all the guests arrived. I looked down at her little foot and noticed we had something in common. We like to hang one foot out from under the blanket when we sleep. I hear it's called the Irish foot.





"Photo Album and Baby", Rockaway Park, NYC, 05/11. Juliana Beasley.




More photos coming soon. Just gotta' warm up that scanner.

2 comments:

JR said...

Your blog is interesting, has left a great impression.
Best wishes
Jonas

JuJu said...

Thanks Jonas!