Friday, August 31, 2012

Finally The Rockaways....

This weekend, I hope both Saturday and Sunday, I will trek out to the Rockaways to catch up with old friends and I hope new friends, as I troll the streets with my Rollei wrapped around my neck. This is the first time I am going out to the Rockaways this entire summer and honestly, I really missed the people and the place.

There is nothing like the Rockaways. And I believe there are many out there who would agree. One thing I can say for sure. I have been taking the long subway trip out there for 10 years counting this year and now this summer and things are changing. Change comes slowly to the Rockaways and this is perhaps one of the most charming part of the peninsula.

The once forgotten neighborhood (no, I do not speak of all of the peninsula, only certain pockets) beacon to many of the disregarded is now on the map and highlighted in trendy on-line and printed journals. Yes, hipsters have discovered and flocked to the hidden city beach paradise over the last couple of years. But you can't take the real salt of the Rockaways or at least the neighborhoods where I have been photographing. Over the last decade so many of my subjects have died. I used to get off the train and many familiar faces would great me as I exited the MTA on 116th Street. I miss those kind greetings. So, much can change in 10 years.

These are a couple of simple shots I took outside of a new pub that I frequent. 



"Outside of RBI #1", Rockaways, NY, 2011. Juliana Beasley.
 


Add captio"Outside of RBI #2", Rockaways, NY, 2011. Juliana Beasley.n




"Outside of RBI #3", Rockaways, NY, 2011. Juliana Beasley.




"Outside of RBI #4", Rockaways, NY, 2011. Juliana Beasley.



No comments: